She's a Real Mother

Mutha's got eyes in the back of her head.

Monday, January 28, 2008

Cake Me

I make it a habit to ask people about their favorite birthdays and also their favorite birthday cake. My husband's was from childhood and featured plastic depictions of the Beatles. How cool is that? Drum set and all.

When I was little, I remember being in awe of a classmate who had a Barbie cake. For those of you who have never seen such a thing -- it involves placing a Barbie in the middle of a dome cake and then icing it to look like her ballgown skirt. When I asked my mom to make me one (Barbie cakes were not available in bakeries back in the day -- although I am told that now they are) she told me, "No way." My mom was really not the baking type -- and she also thought it was a little gross to stick a doll in a cake.
So I settled for the traditional one with the frosting roses, white cake and white buttercream on the outside. What is strange though is that very cake is now my favorite kind. Interesting what adaptation can do.
My favorite birthday has multiple answers -- which I allow in my version of this game. One was when I turned nine and my father returned from Japan with a beautiful geisha doll for me. The other was when I turned thirty and many friends celebrated with me at a since-demolished but wonderful dive called The Ratskellar (The Rat to us regulars). There was a great live band, a lot of beer, and a biker who wanted to kiss me.
What was (were) your favorite birthday(s)?
What is your favorite kind of birthday cake?

9 Comments:

At 12:48 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

My favorite birthday is the one I forgot. I still kind of admire the one my brother got for his eighth birthday with blue frosting and giant dollops of multicolored icing. What is true of livestock is true of baked goods. The ugliest tastes best.

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

Do you remember how old you were for the one you forgot? I have a friend who ate a tube of blue icing as a kid and now gags at the sight of it. I gagged at the thought of ugly livestock tasting the best. Is that true for all of them? Chickens? Is there such a thing as a good-looking turkey?

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Not sure of the favorite Bday....but, not being a big fan of cake, I really enjoyed the year celebrated with many tasty white russians instead!!

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

See my point? What's uglier than a cow, but a pig? What's uglier than a chicken but a turkey?

I've forgotten most of my birthdays. I bet those were the grand ones.

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

First of all, my word verification is "urtsy" -- which I think I have to turn into my new favorite adjective.
C-Girl: How on God's green planet can ANYONE not be a fan of cake. I would eat it every single day if I could. I would eat it three times a day everyday if I could. White Russians are very much like a cake cocktail though -- you're allowed to stay.

Doug: now you are just being evasive. Did you have parties as a kid? Did you have a memorable one out there on the lone pray-er-ree singing your cowboy songs to yourself? DISH

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger Nessa said...

I'm not much into my own birthdays. I don't like to be the center of attention (not on purpose, anyway.)

I like vanilla everything but never get it because no one else likes it. I always have to compromise. Yes, I'm done whining.

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

I was about 9 or 10 and my Mom recreated a scene from the Jurassic Period replete with a T Rex terrorizing the placid Herbivores. It was Fantastic..and chocolate of course.

Isn't the Ratskeller (Rat Cellar)where the Beatles played in Hamburg? I read that they had to load up the 'cute one' with Penicillin thanks to his cultural exchanges.

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

Nessa: Bullshit! No compromising on your birthday! Vanilla it is -- and who ever has other preferences can eat something else.

Homo-esc: LOVE the dino cake. Go mom! Yes -- the Ratskeller probably got its name from the dive in Germany -- but this Rat was in Kenmore Square in Boston -- a stone's throw away from Fenway. It had the crossroads of humanity come through the door -- which is why I loved it. there would be freshly-scrubbed college students, bikers (as mentioned) drunk Red Sox fans, folks from the burbs, punks. It rocked.

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Indeterminacy said...

I don't have a favorite birthday - I never liked birthdays and never celebrated mine. But I love Marzipan Torte. I would kill for it. And an angel layer cake with gobs of icing always used to make my day.
Happy V Day to you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home