She's a Real Mother

Mutha's got eyes in the back of her head.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Really Love Your Peaches, Want to Shake Your Tree

I have stumbled upon a surprisingly interesting book, The Botany of Desire which explores our relationship to plants. It asserts the uncommon question: Do plants exert an influence of humans rather than humans only exerting their will over plants?
This requires a real shift of lens. For instance, can we consider the survival of some domestic variety of plants to be solely the work of man or can we credit the uncanny "ability" of some plants to push themselves to the front of the class, demanding to be taken in, fed and nurtured? Think of which animals have become domesticated. Did they get there by being unattractive, undesirable, useless? In this way, dogs and cats are brilliant as is -- say -- the apple.
And speaking of the apple -- isn't it interesting that the apple should be the symbol for desire and temptation in the Garden of Eden? Which leads me to my question:

What fruit would you assign as the symbol for desire and temptation? Why?

4 Comments:

At 11:00 AM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Did I just click over to Cosmo.com?

OK, I think the fruit of desire is the lemon because it makes you pucker and the seeds contain arsenic.

It's a plausible theory. God knows cats manipulate people, and figs have more personality.

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Nessa said...

That Doug is such a hopeless romantic; )

Bananas and donuts, sorry, I'm being childish.

I think any kind of berry would do the trick, especially if baked in a very juicy crisp topped with lots of fresh made whipped cream.

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

Doug: Let it all hang out, dog. You don't believe in Lemons. I can tell from here.

Nessa: Berries is a good one. Perhpas it is the place "You're the berries!!" came from.

I, myself, am still thinking.

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Mutha said...

After much thought -- I beleive that peaches is the answer for me. Something so intimate about that pit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home