She's a Real Mother

Mutha's got eyes in the back of her head.

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Oh! To Be Little with Too Much Time on Your Hands

I have vivid memories of being told that I had to get ready for bed early in order to be allowed to stay up and watch The Brady Bunch followed by The Partridge Family. To say I loved these shows would be an understatement. I was simply devoted to them. In fact, I spent a lot of non-viewing time thinking about the characters and making up scenarios for them. These scenarios would sometimes bleed characters from one show to the other -- which of course really did happen occasionally (i.e. Sonny and Cher on "Scooby Do") -- but as my overly-intense-emotional-self tended to lean, I made the characters far too involved in one another's lives.



I wondered how long it would take Keith to break Marcia's heart.


I wondered if Laurie was a little too sophisticated for Greg.


I worried Danny wouldn't get along with anyone.



I thought the littlest kids might have fun together -- although the tambourine girl always seemed a little ... aloof.



And what about the adults? Would Alice leave Sam the Butcher for Rubin Kincaid?


Or would Mr. Brady end up having an affair with Shirley Jones? Not to worry!




I also LOVED The Courtship of Eddie's Father and therefore imaged that maybe Carol Brady could jump over there and get married to that poor widower Bill Bixby.

And then maybe the adorable nanny Mrs. Livingston could retire...or take Mr. French's place on Family Affair when he keeled over from a heart attack. Because even at 7 years old, I could sense that Buffy and Jody's dad was simply not going to remarry. Alcoholism? Rage issues? I am not sure, but there was something wrong over there. Which is why I was not surprised when I overheard the grown-ups talking about how Buffy and/or Jody and/or the teen aged sister ended up flipping out on acid in real life. Meanwhile, Mrs. Livingston could have saved the day with her soothing Japanese ways.

If they had only listened to my recasting ideas...lives could have been spared.

8 Comments:

At 4:24 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Definitely rage issues. Plus, he always smiled a little friendly, if you know what I mean.

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

Ewwww Doug...I do know.

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

My kids watch the Bradys now and LOVE them!! It's very funny to see their reactions to these classic, but cheesy, episodes and to hear them recap, as if the show is brand spankin' new. Growing up watching I never realized how freakin' desperate Alice was!!! It's actually pretty pathetic.

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

What a fabulous walk down memory lane. Eddy's father eventually turned into a giant monster who was green with envy.

Danny 'Mr Kinkaid Mr Kinkaid' Bonaduce has done his best to maintain the child star curse..
not as well as Whatchootalkinbout Willis but impressive none the less.

Everything is STILL always Marcia Marcia Marcia isn't it?

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

C-Girl: My kids a pretty luke warm about the Bradys -- much to my dismay. Although -- I don't know if they have seen the Johnny Bravo episode -- I think that would get 'em. They find the clothes more entertaining than anything else. The other thing they find funny is how I can name the episode within 30 seconds after the themes song.

Homo-esc: I guess that was why I could never get behind the Hulk. I was also scared of Danny as a kid and am still scared. And Marcia...ah yes...My husband like millions of other kids had a huge crush on her. For all of us girls who were not even blond like Jan -- let alone skinny and had the hair swing down...she was, infact smackable.

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger G said...

Great stroll. The rage issues and he spoke in a mumble.

Ah, but gentle Mrs. Livingston - I can still remember her voice "Eddie, do your homework."

Were you also a My Favorite Martian and Mr. Ed fan?

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Nessa said...

I watched them all, but I still loved Dark Shadows best.

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

nessa
Dark Shadows!!
oh heart be still..wasn't that awesome! Daytime Vampyres!
I wonder if they have clips on youtube?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home