She's a Real Mother

Mutha's got eyes in the back of her head.

Monday, November 05, 2007

What You Need to Do to Get Candy

















I am glad to know almost every kid in my neighborhood. Having lived here for some years now, I have had the chance to observe a couple of them move from early childhood to pre-adolescence. And that is how I have come to peg a couple of kids who I am sure will grow up to sell drugs.


There is nothing like Halloween as a check-in with the neighborhood kids' progress. Like the trip to the bus stop each year on the first day of school, you get to see who has grown, who is missing a tooth, and who has made that crucial leap to young juvenile delinquant. When the group of kids that included the future-drug-pushers came to my door this past Halloween night, the first thing I noticed was that the costume selection was a little random. When I asked, "What are you supposed to be?" there was a collective shrug in response.


I decided that some tough love was in order.


"Well," I said returning the yet-untouched bowl of treats to my hip, "You gotta be something to get candy."

One kid raised a hand, "I'm an evil jester." Okay -- fair enough. He did have the Scream mask and a jester hat on.

"How bout you, Tim?" I asked the boy wearing a shirt on that said got candy? on it. "I'm a kid who wants candy."

"Sure," I responded with the bowl still on my hip. "Okay Justin," I said turning to the kid I KNOW will one day sell my child weed. Surveying his blue hoody and jeans, I raised my eyebrows at him.

"I'm a skateboarder," he said hopefully.

I sighed.

I shifted the bowl to the other hip. The boys stood quietly.

"Fine!" I exclaimed, offering the bowl to pick from. "But next year I want some imagination! Nothing lame or NO CANDY! Got it?"

Dutifully, each boy took only one piece of candy and each said "Thank You."


Aaah...they're good kids.

9 Comments:

At 7:39 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

And the moral or the story is children... never pass up an opportunity to give teenagers a hard time!

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Good kids sell drugs too.

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Mutha said...

C-Girl: I like how you think!

Doug: Good kids DO drugs...Boarderline kids sell drugs.

 
At 12:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe if you gave them more than one piece of candy they wouldn't be so desperate for resources.
-frank

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

Frank: Aaaah, you're breaking my heart. But the boys took one piece each voluntarily -- I didn't even suggest it. Although the fact that I was a bitch may have prescribed it.

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

HA! It is scary how predictable they are..my wife teaches grade 2 and apparently most of the staff can supply you with a detailed list of how well adjusted any child will grow up to be by then...sad but true.

I am putting a tapeline at the door around 6 feet off of the ground that reads you must be UNDER this line to get candy...
and those of you who have begun menstruating and shaving,
Bugger Off!

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger FirstNations said...

i buy drugs. can i have some candy now?


i'm supposed to be a housewife. yes the molotov cocktail is part of the costume.
geeze lady.

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

hahaha, Firstnations!

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger Mutha said...

homo-esc: See - you HAVE been thinking about this. Excellent criteria. Printing them by the doorbell is also food for thought.

FN: I hadn't really thought about explosives yet...thanks for the heads up.

Doug: I know...I love when she comes to the party.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home