She's a Real Mother

Mutha's got eyes in the back of her head.

Monday, December 10, 2007

When Artist = Asshole

I just read Joyce Maynard's book At Home In the World, an account of her life and her infamous year in the company of J D Salinger. I am a great fan of Salinger's work and came to Maynard's book cautiously. After all, what good can be said about an affair between a man in his fifties and an 18 year-old girl? At the very least it isn't a fair fight (girl who thinks she is grown up meets man who is) -- at its worst, all definitions of adult aside, it could be a hell of a lot more sinister. Certainly, there is the "It was the style at the time" argument, pointing to the example of the Mia Farrow/Frank Sinatra relationship (made even a little bit stranger by the fact that Farrow looked like a 15 year old BOY -- Jeez Frank). But anything involving Salinger is different because of his complete retreat from public life. To become involved with him means cutting oneself off from a lot of the outside world -- which interestingly enough Maynard seemed all too happy to do. The story goes that she was a strongly hyped young writer, which included her picture on the cover of the New York Times Magazine and book deals galore -- all bagged in her freshman year at Yale. But she was very unhappy in school, more than a little freaked out by her sudden fame, and with no useful input from her parents Maynard hightailed it up to New Hampshire at Salinger's invitation and disappeared into his world.

And so, what does Maynard have to report? Guess what: Salinger is strange. He eats really weird food and is grumpy. The sexual relationship was odd and didn't work out. She was clingy and he got bored. Depending on who you are, reading her account could make you admit that interpersonally he is a messed up guy or that you think she is a bitch who should have never told the story or that Salinger is a pedophile whose work is worth shit because of that fact.

It is this last take I find the most interesting. If we find out an artist is an asshole, does that change the worth of his or her art?


Picasso was a notorious asshole -- although in Repo Man it is claimed that no one has ever called Picasso an asshole -- I find that hard to believe -- I mean look at that face...he was clearly smackable. Word is he was terrible to the woman in his life and not all that fun at parties. And yet, one of, if not the most important painter of the 20th century. Personally, when I look at Picasso's work I don't think about who he was at home.


And yet -- then there is Woody Allen. From what I have heard, his relationship with Mia Farrow was unconventional to say the least, but even in that context, his decision to make Farrow's daughter his lover and then wife is very creepy. I have loved Allen's films, but I must admit I have gone to see very little of his work since that story broke. Why? I think he really baffled me in a way I find hard to shake when I see his work. Is it because his movies seem so autobiographical? Is it because Allen so often turns to the camera in order to have an intimate conversation with the viewer that I feel compelled to yell back, "Yuck! What the hell have you been thinking, you kook?!"
If we sign on to be fans, do we sign a waver to personal behavior?
Here is another take on what it means to be a Salinger fan. After publishing At Home in the World, Maynard put her letters from Salinger up for auction at Christies. Because Salinger had sued over his letters becoming public in any way, Maynard anticipated that there would be a call for an explanation from his fans. Maynard noted that she had been very careful not to quote the letters directly in her book, but having used them for inspiration in writing her memoir said they no longer served a purpose for her and so she had decided to sell them in order to pay for her children's education. Surprising to some (including me), the letters went for a relatively low price -- and the new owner stated that he had bought the letters with the sole purpose of returning them to Salinger. What other writer, actor, artist, politician would inspire such loyalty in this day and age? What asshole for that matter?


8 Comments:

At 12:25 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Artists always seem weird to me. I think as fans we're entitled to complain about personal. It even mirrors the inflated sense of importance usually found in our heroes.

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

I agree that we can say or think what ever we want -- but I wonder if it effects the value of that person's work...And what if the work has had a profound effect on us -- as great art or heroic acts are supposed to do? Should that effect be struck null and void if that individual does something we find distasteful? Maybe it should be called the Lewinski Effect...

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger Jay said...

I wouldn't mind having that connundrum myself.

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Nessa said...

I try not to look into the lives of artists: it does ruin it for me. I like their work to be "pure."

Once I start to learn about their lives, then they become celebraties to me and I am usually disgusted or bored. You can't be obsessed without being an asshole to those nearest and dearest to you. I grieve for their children who had no choice originally, but not really for anyone else.

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

Jay:To mamnge living with JD -- or to have people judge your work based on your personal life? In both cases I think you are looking for star power girl!

Nessa: Then you understand my caution. I must admit though, I was also interested to see what kind of writer she had turned out to be. My verdict it: Feh.

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Value as described how? Value to us, probably, although I still enjoy Woody Allen movies.

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Nessa said...

I guess the ability that allows them to speak their mind in their art is the same thing that prevents them from controlling their behavior in their personal lives.

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

What an excellent investigation. I believe that you need to separate the personal lives from the work. Now that I am 50 I cannot imagine being involved with a 'girl'...even though Groucho Marx said that you are only as old as the woman you feel.

I suppose that those involved in May/December arrangements must face a huge number of obstacles and spend an inordinate amount of time justifying their actions...who is to say if it is unnatural? I suspect that on our evolutionary journey this sort of thing was probably considered the zenith of reproductive success. Afterall we reach our natural state of reproduction in our early teens and we were never designed to live as long as we do now.

My daughters are both in their early 20s and I see their friends as children caught unaware of all the baggage that accompanies making adult decisions without the benefit of experience...especially in relationships.

I think Picasso was a complete egomaniacal asshole...the thing about celebrity is that it envelopes it's subject and justifying your actions is a walk in the park when you are the centre of the universe.

Great post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home