She's a Real Mother

Mutha's got eyes in the back of her head.

Monday, January 14, 2008

Massachusetts 9*1*1

I heard a story on the radio recently about an effort to establish a law in Massachusetts regarding the abuse of 9*1*1. In short, it will be against the law to harass a 9*1*1 operator.


Hmmmm...harass? I thought. What is involved in harassing a 9*1*1 operator?

I imagined people calling up and freaking out about ambulances that hadn't arrived yet -- kind of like bitching at the cab dispatcher. But, no. The radio story asked the same question and went on to play clips from actual calls as examples of what crossed the line.

One man yelled at the operator because traffic was really bad on the Mass Pike.

One woman called to complain that the local weather forecast had been wrong and it was raining hard.

I wish I were kidding.

This made me wonder about what people are thinking. When did 9*1*1 being only used in case of emergency get lost? When did the concept of emergency get lost? Apparently these people felt the need to talk to someone -- okay vent at some one -- but since when did personal frustration prompt a call for municipal help? I can understand calling a spouse or friend to blow off some steam during a traffic jam or unanticipated weather experience. My sainted husband has supplied a sympathetic ear through my years and years of commuting. But all I expect from him is an understanding, "Sorry -- that sucks." What do these callers expect from 9*1*1?

The only answer I can come up with is that driving alone in your car can be a very isolating experience. Why not call someone who is paid to answer? It is a community resource after all.

Well...I didn't say it was an answer that made sense.

7 Comments:

At 3:04 PM, Blogger Nessa said...

Whatever happened to yelling at other drivers and giving them the finger?

People are nuts and incredibly self-centered.

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

Well -- see -- road rage. If I give the finger to another motorist I could be run off the road or shot. 911 may seem so much more anonymous. And perhaps the operators are not even so much people as voices. Just sayin...

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Nessa said...

Maybe we could start a new nationwide service: Dial 666 to yell and complain to someone - just one cent a minute. I think we could clean up.

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

I wonder if part of the problem isn't that 911 has become a substitute for all the other numbers you used to use to get ahold of various public services. I remember when our office had been broken into, I firgured it isn't an emergency, I'll just call the regular number to report it and I got passed around from extension to extension with each person asking why I hadn't called 911 . It's also the number you call if there's a ladder in lanes on the freeway. It's made emergencies casual.

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Mutha said...

Nessa: Draw up a business plan and show me where to sign.

Good point Doug. But your ladder comment makes me think of what happened to me last spring: I was driving on the highway when a ladder on the pickup in front of me flew off, went over my car and landed behind me. I was so freaked out that I had to call me husband immediately and tell him what happened. Now I realize that maybe I should have called 911 to let them know there was a ladder on the highway. Leesons learned.

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Mutha said...

Leesons? Oh -- you know what I mean.

 
At 12:21 AM, Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

Those idiots should be fined..although the chances are very good to excellent that they are sociopathic inbred miscreants who do not have a concrete grasp of the term others.

If Natural Selection ever kicks in again there will be less of these tedious worrisome twats to contend with ((sigh))

Unfortunately we do everything possible to circumvent Mother Nature's recipe so we deserve it good and hard.

Perhaps crying wolf will come back to bite them in the ass someday...
that would be sort of Karmical actually.

Oh crap now I have that bloody song in my head..
She comes and goes,
She comes and go-o-o-oes.
@#$%!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home