She's a Real Mother

Mutha's got eyes in the back of her head.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Scout THIS!

My younger son wants to be a Cub Scout.



You would think any parent would be excited and proud. But no -- pinkos that we are, my husband and I were immediately unsure and then came the actual first "pack" meeting. That was when the concerns really began to flow.

It makes me wonder what Cub Scout Leaders think when a parent asks if his child has to march with the war veterans in the town Memorial Day parade. Couldn't the kids be separate from the soldiers? Well sir, this is the Scouts. I also wonder what it feels like to wear a neckerchief in your 40's.



I wonder what my son thought when I asked him if he felt like doing the oath each meeting. When he shrugged, I pointed out that, for instance, there was a bit about God. "That's cool," he told me. "I believe in God." I do too -- and again, most parents would smile warmly at their little angel. I crinkled my brow and worried that the whole "Law of the Pack" thing sounded too much like the Hitler Youth.

But who are we to put a cramp in his little scout-heart? Off he goes to cook-outs, go-cart derbies, sleep-overs, and Christmas toy drives. God bless him and God bless America. He can learn a sense of social questioning and healthy cynicism right here in the bosom of his family. No uniform required.




This is post is dedicated to my sweet Sheila, who got out of the Tower six years ago today.

6 Comments:

At 11:23 AM, Blogger FirstNations said...

at least it isnt' the evil, child-eating menace known as 'Tiger Cubs'. that's the rightie christian permutation of cub scouts we have up here.
i think you have the right idea...support your kid, but hold the line. there's nothing wrong with patriotism, either, as long as the kid knows that his nation is a fallable entity and its leaders are human (or simian in our present case)

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger Nessa said...

I think it's great that you are allowing your son the freedom to join a cult; D

 
At 1:07 AM, Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

Lord Baden Bloody Powell must be turning in his grave! Hrrummph!

Well atleast they don't have to clear minefields by running across them like some of the kid's clubs in the Middle East?

I was a Cub and a Scout and lived to talk about it. Uniforms demand conformity and promote youthful daydreams of a paramilitary takeover of your elementary school...like that Tom Cruise movie..TAPS!

Let's see...Arsons burned my tent at a Jamboree in Minnesota...other than that the whole Jungle Book theme was kinda cool. Except for the fact that wolves are seriously psychotic about their pack politics..hmmm.

One of my best friend's Mom was Bagheera the black Panther..Grrr.

Do you know how to sew on badges?

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Kyahgirl said...

all my brothers were in the scouting movement both as members and later as leaders. It was good for them.

hey mutha, no pressure or anything but I keep checking up on Mac and Ellen and am wondering how they are....anything coming? I really enjoyed their story so far.

really, no pressure :-)

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

I remember the cub scout oath. I got kicked out anyway.

Nessa, that was hilarious. Scientology has better tax advantages.

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Mutha said...

FN: I am very afraid of this Tiger Cubs you describe, I thank my lucky stars (is that paegan?) that I live far away from where they are. And don't worry -- my kids get a lot around the "fallable simian" topic.

G-Nib: You made me laugh out loud.

Homo-esc: That movie was GOOD -- Everybody and their brother is in that one. Sorry about the Jamboree though...

K-Girl: Thanks for giving a crap about Mac and Ellen -- there will be more up sson -- I PROMISE!

Doug: Sorry -- but I had you pegged as someone who might have been asked to find the door. Was it about anything in particular or was it just general bad attitude?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home