She's a Real Mother

Mutha's got eyes in the back of her head.

Monday, May 14, 2007

Honor Thy Mutha

Growing up in a house full of brothers, I understood how to hang with boys and men from a young age. I tended to be shy around girls and women because I had a hard time following their cues. They seemed to talk in code, every word and look having a double meaning. When I was with my brothers and their friends I understood that when you thought you were being insulted you probably were -- but unless their was a harsh tone to go along with it, the insult was meant as a ribbing, a way to feel part of the group. In the company of girls I felt the opposite was true -- if you thought you were being paid a compliment, chances were somebody either wanted something from you or was actually insulting you through the backdoor. I found it spooky and so I kept my mouth shut and prayed no one would notice me.

Somewhere in my adulthood I started to relax around other women -- but tended to gravitate towards the ones who spoke plainly and had a good sense of humor. When I became a mother I even started to attend a mothering group and found the company very reassuring. But every once in a while the old code would pop up and turn me off immediately. When another mother says, "My goodness! Is your son always this energetic?" she is actually asking you if you have tried him on medication for hyperactivity yet. If she says, "He sure is smart. You must work with him a lot," the translation is , "I'm not sure why you would try to raise a freak but everybody is entitled to their goals."
Defensive?
Yeah, probably -- but it is from years of being on the other end of a bad connection. I often feel as if I was raised in a different culture. One in which eye lash curling was never covered, and a compliment was a compliment.

Hope you had a happy Mutha's Day -- and I mean that sincerely.

9 Comments:

At 5:28 PM, Blogger FirstNations said...

i did. thank you.
my fave was 'my! she's a little tomboy isn't she!'
translation: oo! a mini-dyke!

i live in a very conservative part of the country. i heard this a lot.

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Mutha said...

Here's another one I have overheard: "Ooo, she's a sturdy little girl." Translation: "Fat at 2 is fat forever."

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger Nessa said...

I don't hang a rounf women like that. I prefer to be insulted opennly.

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

People are so f%@$^#*n' insecure they can all just go to hell!

Ahem, I mean...gosh darn it anyway, isn't it peculiar how people can get so competitive with their children. Sometimes they seem to forget that adults have feelings too.
Isn't that goofy!

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Here's an actual conversation that once took place in my life.

"I just heard a really interesting story on NPR. They did a study and found that men can't hear all of the tones and sounds women use in speech. They think that's why women have such a hard time getting their message across with men."

"You mean you talk even more than I think?"

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Mutha said...

G-Nib: Here, Here!

Homo-Esc: If I could think straight in those moments, I probably would see it for the insecurity it is -- but at the time, I just want to step on the person's foot -- or worse.

Doug: Does it make you feel any better that it is clicks and buzzes to me too a lot of the time?

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Absolutely. By the way is that a real mutha in the photo?

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Mutha said...

A mom but not the one and only Mutha :)

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Al said...

I'm late to wish you a Happy Mutha's Day, but I'm sure you didn't need it.

And, for Fatha's Day, I'm too early! Just like a guy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home