She's a Real Mother

Mutha's got eyes in the back of her head.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Identify Your Jam


Something new at Fenway this year is that they play a short excerpt of music as each Red Sox player comes to bat. My sense is that each is set to express something about that individual -- but it would be interesting to know if the player has any say in the selection. The only one I recognized right away was "Iron Man" for Mike Lowell, and considering he lead the league in doubles last year, this makes sense. The others were tougher to identify, but got their point across. David (Big Papi) Ortiz has a powerful slow jam while Julio Lugo has something Latino in flavor. Varitek's is a straight ahead, no nonsence rock drumming -- while Dustin Pedroia, one of the youngest players, has a kind of boodie-call selection.


It made me wonder what I would pick as my bit of music and I would have to say it depends on the day. Get on my wrong side and it would be "Bulls on Parade" by Rage Against the Machine. Catch me in a good mood and it would be "Just like Heaven" by the Cure. But if I had to pick one, it would probably be the openining to the Talking Heads version of "Take Me to the River" -- you don't know what to expect from that one, but it's got soul.


What would your jam be?

7 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, Blogger Nessa said...

I'd want "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" for my theme song.

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Mutha said...

awim-awep-awim-awep-awim-awep-awim-awep...Good one!

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Al said...

Am I too late to claim
this song?

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

Since you would only get to hear a few bars it would have to be something powerful and instantly recognizable I am sure that there would be a lot of standbys like

the Hendrix version of
All Along The Watchtower,
Humans Being: Van Halen,
Tubes: Talk To Ya Later,
Learning to Fly:Foo Fighters,
Shook Me All Night:ACDC
Take It Off:Donnas

but I would pick something a little quirkier like
1979 by Smashing Pumpkins,
Time Will Crawl by David Bowie,
or Huddle Formation by GO!TEAM

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

Al: My kids sing this song and so I get looks of surprise and disapproval from other adults. But I think it is an excellent choice. At Fenway they sometimes play it during a pitcher change.

Homo-Esc: What a great bunch of choices. I vote go for quirky!

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger FirstNations said...

"Star Spangled Banner" Hendrix Live.
not a moments hesitation there!

i always thought of you as kind of a 'Black Dog' (zep) kinda person, m'self.

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

FN: I married a Zep fan which I think is the next best thing -- but for I have always leaned more towards punk . That said, I am a devoted Hendrix fan and a semi-recent convert to The Who.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home