She's a Real Mother

Mutha's got eyes in the back of her head.

Monday, May 28, 2007

Word Power

When asked to describe his performance in a recent rough start against the Yankees, Curt Schilling -- a man never found speechless -- selected the word "Craptastic."

I immediately found the need to incorporate it into my conversations.

Q: "How're you doing?"

A: (with a smile) "Craptastic."


Q: "Hey, you wanna go see Shrek the Third?"

A: "I heard it was craptastic."



And: "My chances of getting my first novel published are craptastic."



Like Curt, I reserve the right to make up my own words when necessary. For instance, I conjure up images of famous people as a descriptive aid:
Instead of finding a word meaning "a complex mix of earnest and creepy" I might say: "Sorry, I don't mean to go all Anthony Perkins on you."

Or I use variations on Yiddish: Instead of trying to describe an unidentified bunch of glop, I might say, "What is all this shmutz?"


It's fun and if Shakespeare made up words, why can't I? It's a free country. And after all, isn't that why we're fighting that craptastic war in Iraq?

6 Comments:

At 8:02 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You make a fantabulous point Mutha!

 
At 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My goal in life is to make up a word with a lot of r's in it, and live long enough to hear Barbara Walters mispronounce it on TV.

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Nessa said...

I make up words but can only use them when I talk to myself as no one else knows what the heck I'm saying.

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger FirstNations said...

my recent 'flaptering' a case in point.

sometimes only i know what i mean.

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

I love visiting Port Manteau

http://homoescapeons.blogspot.com/2007/01/
welcome-to-port-manteau-
its-another.html

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Yes, we're Cheneying them over there so they can't Cheney us over here.

I, too, will shed blood for the write of the people to coin muthaisms.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home