She's a Real Mother

Mutha's got eyes in the back of her head.

Friday, May 04, 2007

Oh Captain, My Captain!

I was in Fenway Park last night to see the Red Sox beat the Mariners. It was not a pretty game -- but it was an exciting one, with the Sox coming back from a 5-0 deficit and then Manny (The Man) Ramirez winning it with a homerun in the bottom of the 8th (So that's why he makes 18 million dollars...).
For those of you who have never been to Fenway it is honestly a beautiful park. The oldest park still around and apparently the smallest as well -- there is simply nothing like watching a game there. It is the opposite in it's character to Yankee Stadium, which is like watching a game from a skyscraper's window. This is my perception of course because I have never had good seats in Yankee Stadium -- and yet, even in the bad seats at Fenway (and believe me I have had them too) you are still so close to the action that it manages to feel electrifying. The buzz is so strong that it caused a Yankee fan to turn to me once at Fenway and ask, "Why do Sox fans cheer so loud for a single?" (because we are cheaper dates than Yankee fans) and my younger son, a once-devoted Yankee fan to turn to me last night and say, "I'm a Red Sox fan now, Mom." He need not shop for any other Mother's Day present this year.

But the highlight last night for me was when I was near the bull pen and Jason Varitek came out to warm up. I have made my love for Jason a matter of public record before and that admiration blossomed having never seen the man up close. I thought he was just another great player until, in the 2004 season, he responded to A-Rod's bullshit by feeding him his mitt. Cue devotion. I can honestly say I have only felt star-struck a couple of times in my life -- and that moment when the man walked out in front of me last night was one of them. My husband (who was off buying beer when this happened) credits this fact as the reason that there is no picture of Jason Varitek from last night. I was simply too busy staring at the captain of the Boston Red Sox to go digging for a silly thing like a camera.

As always, Go Sox.

9 Comments:

At 12:34 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

I had the pleasure of watching Andre Dawson knock a Roger Clemens pitch over the big green monster. It's the only time I've been to Fenway, but that was a highlight and I really liked the park. Old Comiskey and Wrigley fields are favorites, too.

Go (White) Sox!

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

Can you believe there are (very expensive) seats up on that Green Monster know? Genius. Also, a friend recently went to Wrigley and found that he could not pay for a beer in any bar near the place. Cub fans feel so connected to Red Sox fans that apparently anyone with a real Boston accent is taken in as family. When's the next flight to Chicago?

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Don't worry! I have plenty of photos of Jason on my site!

Stop by for a visit when you get a moment or two!

Erin

www.Jason-Varitek.com

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger FirstNations said...

all i have is the 'Ro.
and he's leaving.

*snif*

(hi dougie!)

 
At 6:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fenway is indeed a very special place to watch a baseball game...unlike any other although I also love the home of my Dodgers.

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Nessa said...

It's kind of hard to tell, but I think you like Jason Varitek.

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

Great Erin! I'll be over in a minute!

I still dig 'Ro and he has Dice-K's number that is for sure...is he going to free-agency?

I have never been to see the Dodgers in person Joel -- I will do my best to change that one day.

G-Nib: Come on over to Erin's and see what it's all about.

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger FirstNations said...

happy mothers day mutha! hope it's miraculous!

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

Nice story.
I completely ignore baseball except I pray every night for a huge comet to vaporise Barry Bonds at home plate and save the Hall Of Fame from having to decide whether to
A) add an tiny almost indiscernable asterisk by his chemically inflated record statistics or
B) just hang a banner across the front of the building that reads

SO WHAT IF THE MISERABLE SON OF A BITCH MEGALOMANIAC DID IT ON STEROIDS? 'GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?
WELL DO YA?

It scares me that the polls/statistics surrounding the validity of Bonds 'success' are divided along the same exact proportional racial lines as they did with another famous athlete named OJ!
Is that scary or what?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home