She's a Real Mother

Mutha's got eyes in the back of her head.

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Or Would You Rather Be a Fish?

Today is a dear friend's birthday
and so I was inspired to look up the wonderful Dr. Seuss.

"If we didn't have birthdays, you wouldn't be you.
If you'd never been born, well then what would you do?
If you'd never been born, well then what would you be?
You might be a fish! Or a toad in a tree!
You might be a doorknob! Or three baked potatoes!
You might be a bag full of hard green tomotoes.
Or worse than all that...Why, you might be a WASN'T!
A Wasn't has no fun at all. No he doesn't.
A Wasn't just isn't. He just isn't present.
But you...You ARE YOU! And, now isn't that pleasant!"

Happy Birthday to You (1959)

Man that's good. Another example of Seuss embracing Buddhism. Love the subversive when it is slipped in so seamlessly. Bravo. And enjoy your birthday -- everybody.

6 Comments:

At 3:32 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

Test, test -- everybody's picture-thingy is gone. Test, Test

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

oooo it's back! Hope everyone else's works

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Nessa said...

I love Dr. Seuss. I love rhymes.

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Mutha said...

It's the "three baked potatoes" that get me...

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger FirstNations said...

aha! you cannot hide for long! i have founded you in your hidingness which was so secret-ey with expose! Of you!

1. you nailed townsend. i wish i could express myself like you.
2. AquaTeen Hunger Force is my favorite thing on television besides anything having to do with autopsies, egypt or ancient dead crap
3. happy birthday to your fish! or whatever...my brain hurts now.

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

Yes! I am a sneeky Devil -- but I cannot out-hide you, you crafty FN! You flatter me -- but if you got any better at expressing yourself, I think we would all need to seek shelter. I love your list of TV topics. Mine includes freakish medical phenomena, ANY old movie, and anything that involves an intervention.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home