She's a Real Mother

Mutha's got eyes in the back of her head.

Thursday, August 10, 2006

A Thought About Kindness

"Try imagining a place
That is always safe and warm.
Come in, she said, I'll give you
Shelter from the storm."


Bob Dylan
Shelter From the Storm

An important woman in my life passed away yesterday, a grandma by marriage. And since hearing this news, I have found myself thinking about what brings positive definition to a person's presence in your world. This woman welcomed me, treated me like her blood, fed me, and made blankets for each of my babies. How lovely to end a life with so many acts of kindness in your wake.

It gave me a moment of clarity: how would you like to be remembered?

I believe sincerely that every act of kindness or nurturance has a tremendous effect on the world. There is no end to the comfort being that safe and warm place for another can give.

Without a hint of flower-child-flakiness, I say: go out there and care for someone.

8 Comments:

At 2:24 PM, Blogger FirstNations said...

my grandmother gave me exactly that as a legacy. we are both very lucky people.

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

Right on FN! I have loved the pieces on your grandmother that you have shared on your blog. Nothin like that grandma love.

 
At 12:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agree...each act of kindness has a profound impact on the world like ripples across a lake. Very nice post.

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

I would like to be me remembered as "A kind man, in spite of his behavior"

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Mutha said...

Thanks Joel!

And Doug: How about "A kind man despite his prtests to the contrary" ?

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Mutha said...

prtests?
Protests

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

In either case, Mutha, Blood on the tracks is one of my favorite albums, and if you drop by Minka's site you may like her trivia question. Pay attention to the instructions, though.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

Will do Doug.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home