She's a Real Mother

Mutha's got eyes in the back of her head.

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Leopard Shoes

My co-worker and I had to interview a bunch of people for an open position in our project. We saw a real range of folks and, although this isn't a problem for me in general, with this group -- I couldn't seem to be able to remember anyone's name. So, we came up with a system of calling candidates by the detail I could remember.

I could remember where one woman was relocating from, so she became "Detroit."

I could remember that one woman chose to retreat her chair partially obscuring herself from view, so she became "Peek-A-Boo."

One man had a tie that reminded me of the interior of the house I grew up in, so he became "50s Wallpaper."

And one woman wore animal print footwear, so she became "Leopard Shoes."

"50s Wallpaper" gave her a real run for the money...but "Leopard Shoes" got the job.

Lesson here: Ummm, not sure...How about "Dress to Impress."

8 Comments:

At 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do exactly the same thing when discussing job applicants...names are way too hard to remember.

"you know, the punk rock dude"
or
"little mousey nerdy guy"

Great post...glad it's not just me.

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger FirstNations said...

fantastic. that is the only way i can remember people AT ALL. names; forget it. not so good when you refer to a co-workers husband as 'Baseball Head' (based on their wedding picture, where he indeed displays an abnormally tiny melon.)

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

I used to call my husband's boss "Fatty Arbuckle" because his last name really did sound something like "Arbuckle." My husband would laugh at this and then live in constant terror that he would call his boss by this name accidentally. He left the job under different circumstances...so I'm pretty sure that never happened.

 
At 5:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's exactly the way i remember people, too. actually, it's pretty much the only way i can remember folks, even after i *do* know them! also? i can only remember events by what songs were popular (or what i was listening to) when they occured. i know, weird! (and yet, not). name associations are helpful, too!

great/hilarious post... i see you all the time at WA, figured (like joel, my husband) i'd best check you out! besides, you happen to live in one of our FAVORITE places on the planet (this planet, at any rate)! xo

 
At 1:30 AM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

I usually remember people as 50 words per minute, 100, etc.

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

Ah Doug, you romantic you.

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger G said...

So you're saying I should dust off my leopard skin coat before any new job search? Well who would have thought it that simple?

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

If you plan to interview with me, G -- it would be a must. I can't vouch for anyone else

 

Post a Comment

<< Home