She's a Real Mother

Mutha's got eyes in the back of her head.

Sunday, August 06, 2006

My Baby's Got Pie

My husband comes from a long line of really good cooks. No chefs, ya' hear? Cooks. Oklahoma and Arkansas soul food the likes of which my North Easterner's mouth had never tasted before.

Comfort food for him includes black-eyed peas, corn bread, and greens -- don't forget the chow-chow. Many soul food purists would scoff at the fact that my husband fixes these things without meat. One former resident of Charleston South Carolina asked me, "What is the point of greens with no ham hocks?"

(Do you know what ham hocks are? Do you want to know? I don't -- so go google.)

But he sees the point, and so do I. I love his mom's biscuits and no one has ever made okra I could eat except his Grandma. But my belief in this down-home cooking gets no stronger than when it comes to pie. My husband makes excellent pie, God bless him.

Yesterday he asked me, "Should I make a pie?"

You silly boy...there is only one answer to that.

Who had nectarine and cherry pie for dessert tonight?

Me.

Whoo-hoo. I married the right man.

10 Comments:

At 10:31 PM, Blogger Andrew McAllister said...

Ohhhh ... why do I always come across this type of post when it's late and I'm hungry and I'm trying to be good but there's this package of cookies upstairs that's yelling at me to come up and open it and the food you describe sounds soooo good!

To Love, Honor and Dismay

 
At 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I come from a long line of Oklahomans so black-eyed peas, cornbread, okra, bring back fond memories of family get togethers back in the day (y'all). And pies...mmmmm...love pies.

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

And I can not tell a lie gentlemen: it was delicious. And there is even some left over for tonight!
when my husband has a bad day at work, he will sometimes say, "Screw this! I'm gonna stay home and bake pies."
Damn...wouldn't that be great?

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger G said...

I just had a Pavlovian response to the words nectarine and cherry pie. And I don't even like cherry pie.

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

Our ability to drool overpowers everything, G.

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Dang. Good idea.

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger FirstNations said...

blogger ate my comment!

my YB has a mean way with a pastry knife hisownself. and his dad WAS a chef...another baker.
men who cook well are SEXY.

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger FirstNations said...

blogger ate my comment!

my YB has a mean way with a pastry knife hisownself. and his dad WAS a chef...another baker.
men who cook well are SEXY.

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger FirstNations said...

see, now blogger is burping my coments back up.
crap. cut me a break, universe.

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger Mutha said...

You're right! You're right! A cookin man is a sexy man -- something especially true for our men who can do a mean dessert.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home