She's a Real Mother

Mutha's got eyes in the back of her head.

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Miss America Can Just Resign

I'm so pretty
That I pity
Any girl that isn't me today.

Maria in West Side Story


I recently had the good fortune of seeing a video featuring Siouxsie and the Banshees 2002 live concert. Besides being sorry I had forgotten to include them in my tribute to women in music (similar apologies go out to Kate Bush, Tina Turner and PJ Harvey), I also became intrigued by Siouxsie Sue's look. I told my husband, also a fan and also intrigued by Siouxsie, that I had once cut my hair to match her's. To which he inquired, "I thought you had Chrissie Hynde's haircut for a while..."

And I had to admit that was true too.

It got me thinking about the way I had come about my concepts of physical identity. Why Siouxsie Sue? Why Chrissie? Sure I loved their music, found them strong front women...but that isn't the same as wanting to look like them.

The quick answer came to me: while they are striking women, they aren't conventionally pretty.

And then the bigger answer: I identified with them when I couldn't resolve the pretty question myself.

The pretty question: What does a girl do when she finds herself -- if not ugly, then -- unpretty?

At what age do girls start to be aware of the pecking order associated with physical beauty? I may have started in later because I was the only girl in a mess of brothers, or because my mother and grandmother were strong women who weren't very concerned with how they looked. But I certainly was not protected from it for long, because I can honestly say I have no memory of thinking I was pretty -- even when I was very little.

Now, before the collective groan or sympathy starts to flow, let me say this: I'm down with being unpretty. Don't cry for me Argentina. Although I always perceived things as easier for pretty girls and women -- unpretty has its own power, and I see now that my stabs at imitating the musicians I loved was in an effort to steal some of their thunder until I developed my own.

But, were Siouxsie and Chrissie the only ones...

Last year a very close friend I have known since college was showing a picture of me to my son. The picture was from my college years, which occurred in the early 80's.

Son: Why does Mom look like that? I mean why does her hair do that?

Friend: Oh, see...Your Mom loved a band called the Cure.

Unpretty power comes in more than one flavor. I guess I should add Robert Smith to the list too.

7 Comments:

At 11:17 AM, Blogger FirstNations said...

see, i had flock of seagulls hair, but that was simply giddy celebration of the fact that i'd left my husband and i no longer had to be june fucking cleaver anymore. lots of leather, black lipstick and vintage clothing later, well, crap. i guess i'm still celebrating.
im not going to go on about the pretty thing as i hold the oldschool feminist party line with that. nuff said.
you don't update often enough. you write like a demon and i want to see more of it.

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Mutha said...

FN, that is the best complaint I've ever received! Thanks and I'll try to do better.
PS: I love that you have a flock of seagulls hairdo and wore (wear?) black lipstick. Somehow, I knew. I heard it in your voice.

 
At 5:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

when i was in college i once played the role of Philia, the Virgin in our production of A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. i used to crack up because i had to sing the song "I'm Lovely". in fact, i made so many faces during rehearsals, the director almost re-cast the role... needless to say, i used to sing it to my kids when they were little (okay, sometimes even now) and they die. "You, Mom? Lovely? hahahahahaha!!" (kids... can't live with 'em, can't seem to give 'em away.)

as for the bad hair? i used to sport a Barbra Streisand-esqe afro...and in the 80's did that Olivia Newton-John "Physical" headband thing with short spiky hair that was less than spectacular.

too funny... loveloveloved this post! xoxo

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger G said...

Well now I understand my punk rock grrrl period. Have the pictures to prove it. Yeah funny, my daughter looks at them like - "Why did you look like that?" I also wanted to give a shout out to Exene Zervenka (can't remember spelling) from X on that post.

The thing is (okay please I am not bragging as I consider myself not the beauty standard, but my daughter takes breath away - what can I say her Dad and I make cute babies) but the beauty is she is so unaware of it and eschews the "popular girls" in lieu of the funny smart odd girls crew, numbering herself one. And has chided one student in her class about being more concerned with her looks than iq (she's in 3rd grade). For that alone, I am immensely proud and comfortable that she's on the right track.

Mutha - you are indeed a kindred spirit.

 
At 1:16 AM, Blogger G said...

Okay I'm up too late and I'm going to bed, but not before some song lyrics. They're in my head now since reading this post. Remember a singer Kirsty Mac Coll? Did some collaborating with The Pogues. Well she sang this song "What Do Pretty Girls Do?" I loved that song..."You should have seen with her head held high, well what do pretty girls do? They get older just like everybody else, never thought she'd have to take care of herself."

My work here is done, now I can go to bed. G'night.

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

EXENE! OFCOURSE! Love X! Good catch G.
Sounds like you're bringing along a lovely-on-the-inside-lovely-on-the-outside-girl. Wonderful!
And what is the sense of drinking 25 beers if you can't do it while singing and dancing along with the Pogues? Ah, those were the days! At least I think they were...

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger G said...

So they tell me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home