She's a Real Mother

Mutha's got eyes in the back of her head.

Friday, June 23, 2006

Bright Green Wrapper

I was watching one child of mine play baseball while trying to keep track of the younger child playing on an adjacent playground. I turned my attention to playground-child in time to watch him size-up the jump from a platform to a overhead bar.

"He won't do it," I thought to myself, "He knows it's too far and too high."

Only to see him take off, fall, and lay still.

There is nothing like the timespan it takes to run to a hurt child.

When I got to him and he did sit up, he held his left wrist in his right hand as if it were a hurt bird he found.

"Why did you do it?" I asked.

"Because sometimes I think I can do things I can't," he reported.

What a sober answer. He is the owner of courage and the ability to clearly assess a lost. Some day this will feel handy. But not so much today:

The first day of summer vacation, with a bright green wrapper around a wrist that is indeed fractured.

5 Comments:

At 9:15 PM, Blogger liberal army wife said...

oh good grief! what a way to start... but what a great kid! you should be proud (and wary) of that one!

~LAW~

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger FirstNations said...

oh crap, what a way to kick off the summer!
poor kid. but i bet he thinks the cast is pretty cool.
poor mom, too. now go have a couple three tequila shooters and rest your nerves.

(backpost on the albums- totally agree on aretha!!!!!
totally disagree on Hole. lose Hole. im mad at her for even attempting to do ' Gold Dust Woman', dizzy cow.)

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Mutha said...

The tequila shooters were helpful thanks FC.
And he is a great kid. Being a real trooper for sure.
But FC: I agree about Gold dust Woman -- that was when she lost her mind. Live through this was before that...What would you put in its place on the list?

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger G said...

My heart just broke a little for you on that. Two summers ago my little guy was in a spica cast (both legs) for a fratured femur. May you be looking back on this all real soon. Have to go with you on the Hole thing. I can't look at Courtney Love now, but then, she was something.

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

Man G, that femur thing sounds way worse. Geez. My guy's better these days, two more weeks with the cast it seems. Till then we wrap his arm in a garbage bag and tape it byt the armpit when he wants to go in the water.
Who is the Mutha of invention??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home