She's a Real Mother

Mutha's got eyes in the back of her head.

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Things I Can't Believe I Like

I have always admired people who could continue to grow in their interests -- people who kept wanting to learn about new stuff even after their college years had passed and the "settled down" section had moved in. I mean, what's the alternative? Congealed stagnation? Ooooo...yuck. But with that said, I am stunned by what I have come to like in my forties because in some way it is an about-face to who I was in my younger days.

For instance:

The Terminator Movies: I know! Isn't that crazy?! I used to hate these things -- never spent money or a ticket or a rental. Then, a couple of years ago my husband talked me into watching Terminator 2 and I ended up loving it! Now I've seen the other -- including the very low budget original -- and I am so hooked. I gotta say though -- buff and psycho Linda Hamilton in T2 is my favorite part. She's just loony and kicks ass.


Boxing: When I was little, my brother had a big poster of Muhammad Ali towering over Sonny Liston on his bedroom wall. I was scared of it -- but also impressed. He was The Champ -- untouchable through out my whole childhood, and I can remember watching the Wide World of Sports waiting to hear him come on and recite poetry or simply look into the camera and insist with his own amazement, "I am so pretty!" But watching the actual fight upset me. I remember being confused that it was even called a sport. I thought it was just guys hitting each other. Fast forward to about three years ago. One night, by chance, I caught site of an old Ali fight on the Classic Sports channel, and was dazzled. His ability to move, his theatrics in the ring were suddenly not just a show but strategies. I then became a devotee to the series The Contender. If you haven't seen it is like Project Runway only the designers are boxers -- men train and challenge each other for weeks until it comes down to one pair. What I love is how much work and thought has to go into a match -- in other words, the opposite of my original impression. I can now admire any fight, and do. Imagine that.


Stuff Blowing Up: I used to hate to watch things get destroyed. I was the one person who would look away at a crash. Now I can't wait -- Show it again! Show it in slow motion! I have turned into the guys on Myth Busters who giggle and cheer when stuff goes BOOM! Now, I do have a threshold here folks -- I don't want to blow stuff up, even in video games -- And I really can not watch footage of people getting killed. But -- if those criterion are met well then FIRE IN THE HOLE!! What have I learned from this? In most cases, (Excluding of course ever becoming a Yankees fan during this incarnation) never say never. It is a lot more fun that way.


6 Comments:

At 11:42 AM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Mutha, I think you might be a dude.

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

Jesus Doug -- you may be on to something. As Lori Anderson once said, "A psychic told me this was my first incarnation as a woman. That would explain a lot."
BUT I also have to admit that I like watching the Contender because the guys are so HOT. So, I guess I am a gay dude.

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger Here I Stand said...

You'll be a Yankees fan yet! Come to the dark side.

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

I hope that's not you holding your breath because its going to take a long time for hell to freeze over.

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger Here I Stand said...

That reminds me of a joke that I told from the pulpit at my first church in Fishkill, NY. The went out in January and because of an oil delivery that never happened and it was Sunday. We went ahead with the service after the oil company said that they would rush a truck out there.

The early service had us all bundled up and it was my Sunday to preach. The congregation was split 50/50 between Giant and Jet fans. I said that the cold reminded me of a story of a New Yorker who died and went to hell. While walking through his realm Satan comes upon the NYer who is just sitting there smiling. Satan asks, "What in hell are you smiling about." The NYer responds, "Oh the heat reminds me of being back home in the city enjoying all it had to offer in the summer."

Satan is angry over this as he doesn't want anyone finding joy in his world so he has his demons turn the heat all the way up. The next day Satan comes upon this man and see him beaming with smile while nodding his head. "What are you happy about?" The NYer says,"Ah, this reminds me of all of those Augusts where we'd be sitting on the stoop watching all of the gorgeous broads walking by. Ah, it takes me back."

By now Satan is at his wits end and tells his demons to turn of the heat completely figuring this would fix the NYer.

The next as Satan is walking through hell with everything frozen completely he comes up the NYer who is spinning cartwheels and screaming at the the top of his lungs, "YAY! ALRIGHT!"

Satan says, "What are you happy about now!?"

The NYer stops and says, "THE JETS WON THE SUPER BOWL! THE JETS WON THE SUPER BOWL!"

It got a big laugh from Giants and non-Jets fans alike. Though some Jets fans were not so happy to hear it. Well it got people's blood pumping one way or another and it warmed the place up.

 
At 12:21 AM, Blogger Here I Stand said...

It should've reat our HEAT went out at the church.

And Satan told his demons to turn the HEAT completely off.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home