She's a Real Mother

Mutha's got eyes in the back of her head.

Thursday, January 01, 2009

Let's Ask Oprah -- She's Knows Everything

I can honestly say, I feel an unconventional connection to Oprah. I do not watch her show, but she and I share the same birthday. Strange, but true -- and a good enough reason to check in now and again with what this incredibly powerful woman is thinking and preaching. So was the case this week, when I saw that she had decided to discuss her on-going weight issues in the pages of her magazine, O. It had become a national headline, of course: "Oprah says she is embarrassed by her weight," which made me feel for her. It's bad enough to feel that way -- it must suck to have to admit it to strangers. It also dispelled the myth I do nurture in my mind that if you are childless and wealthy enough, you can either have a team of people who make sure all your needs are met -- or you have all the time in the world to get your own damn needs taken care of.
Having said that though...
I can't help but wonder this: when you have a personal chef -- couldn't there be a lot of thought and care put into the kind of food that is served to you? Thought and care you don't have to invest? Couldn't you have a pre-arrangement in which you say, "I don't care how much I beg don't feed me a double-bacon cheeseburger."? If you have a personal trainer -- don't you have to simply show up and do what he/she says? These folks are paid to listen to bitching and moaning. For those of us who have to drag our asses home at the end of work, collect our kids, then cook the dinner -- Or drag our own sorry carcasses to the gym or the track or the town pool to try and get something like a workout under our belts a couple times a week -- I honestly believe there is only a slim comparison with what makes it tough for a woman like Oprah to feed and exercise her own body.
And yet -- here is what is ultimately interesting to me about the article: Oprah was not content with identifying the issues leading to her weight gain, but nailing down the solution. This also made me worry for her -- I mean, come on -- you sure you got all the answers?
Don't get me wrong, her answer is an valuable one: take care of yourself, make yourself a priority. It has been something I have had to think long and hard about this past year as a result of my own health issues. But one of things I had to learn the hard way -- and I offer to Oprah as a reflection -- is that letting go of our own sense of false power is an important element to self-care. That was hard enough for me to do in my teeny-tiny empire of work and home -- I can imagine it would be far more complex in the Oprah Universe.
In the end, I do not understand why it is true -- but I can only admit it: It's not easy to be Oprah. But listen, honey, our birthday is coming up and I'll bet there must be something nice you can do for yourself -- and I'm sure you've got some dough set aside to pay for it.

11 Comments:

At 10:12 PM, Blogger Here I Stand said...

She shouldn't worry because the second Obama is sworn into office all will be made right in the world including her losing weight. She should know that already, since she campaigned for the Miracle Worker.

I'm looking forward to him crowning the Yankees The Perpetual World Series Champion.

You see, all will be made right!

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Mutha said...

Ooooo -- need some ice for that burn? How you rolled Obama kicking ass AND the Yankee curse into one response is beyond me. Hang in there SC -- It's just like what I had to say to myself over and over throughout the last 8 years: this too shall pass.

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Clowncar said...

I don't now much about the big O, though I've defended her book club a couple times. Not because of her choice of books as much as she gets people to read. And talk sbout books.

Hey, didn't you have a fiction blog too? I don't see it linked up anywhere.

Oh, and HIS, rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for Enron. I'm just sayin.... :)

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Mutha said...

See -- I love that Oprah revived book clubs -- no matter what her choices have been -- and I think some have actually been great. For instance, I really love the writer Wally Lamb -- and he has said that Oprah is the reason he even has had a career (she selected both of his novels in her book groups). In general, I think she has done amazing things with her power. having said that, I think it is ironic that her "calling card" is that she is down-to-earth when she is living a life that relates to few other people.

The fiction blog: I recently got rid of it because of other bloggers reporting that their work was getting stolen and reprinted elsewhere with no credit. I am thinking about how to avoid such a thing before posting again. But thanks for asking -- it gives me a push to figure that out.

And be patient with HIS, it has been a rough year for republican Yankee fans. :)

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Here I Stand said...

Ouch! Yankee haters galore. The Yanks equal to Enron? That's good one and it made me laugh.

MJ, while I am a Yankees fan through and through I am NOT a Republican. I am an Independent with leanings towards Libertarianism. I am all for a revolution and will probably be out in front waving the flag for it.

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

I stand corrected HIS. Yankee fan through and through (check) Indilibralutionary (check).

And, be careful with Clowncar -- he's a Mets fan.

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Here I Stand said...

Indilibralutionary, I like that. I think that will be the title of my biography.

Mets fan?! Come one Clowncar, that's like being Robert Barrone to the Yankee's Ray Barrone.

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Clowncar said...

Even though I'm a Mets fan, I kinda liked the Yankees until i went to my one and only World Series game in 2000. And Jeter hit the first pitch out of the park.

And the Yankess kicked our sorry butts.

After that it was personal.

 
At 12:46 AM, Blogger Mutha said...

I get you Clowncar -- I GET YOU!

 
At 6:40 PM, Anonymous Patricia Volonakis Davis said...

I stumbled across this blog because i just finished an article about Joyce Maynard and somehow there was a link to your site. Very glad I did.
Best wishes.
Patricia V. Davis

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger Mutha said...

Thanks Patricia!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home