She's a Real Mother

Mutha's got eyes in the back of her head.

Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Oh the Agony...


I read something the other day that made me wince. It seems a Cubs fan is trying to auction off his loyalty on eBay. I don't think it's the guy in this picture, but who knows -- it could be. There's enough misery to go around in Chicago right now. For those of you who don't pay attention to Major League Baseball, the Cubs just tanked a post season...AGAIN. This marks 100 years since the club has won the World Series. Say What?!! Yes -- One Hundred Years. Damn.
Much has been written about the phenomena of "Wait 'till next year." There's been much speculation about how people can stay loyal to a team even though they are let down over and over again. And not just over one lifetime -- but through generations.
One of the most unexpected sights I encountered here in Massachusetts after the Red Sox won the World Series in 2004 were balloons, flowers and champagne bottles at graves. Then I heard story after story of people who went to graveyards all over New England (maybe the country) in order to celebrate with the fans who never got to see the day come to pass. I must say, a die-hard Sox fan myself, I do get it -- but...YIKES. Why do we do this to ourselves?
A story comes to mind as one way to understand it. A journalist shared that he regretted his father was not alive to see the Red Sox win. It seems the father had been a loyal fan since boyhood, and had most tragically died of cancer in January 2004. But the journalist said that the thing he kept remembering was one of the last times he was able to talk with his dad. Ill and weak, his father beckoned his son to his bedside and asked, "Did we get Schilling?" -- referring to whether the Red Sox had won over Curt Schilling, the Ace pitcher, in trade negotiations. His son told them the Red Sox had him and his father smiled.
That feeling of possibility can get human beings through so much. Even a failing economy, even illness, even a hundred-year drought. Well, not every human being I guess.
Sorry buddy. I hope you get something for your trouble, but something tells me the Cubs have got you whether you like it or not.

5 Comments:

At 2:18 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

It's true, said the bereft White Sox fan.

By the way, it's ok with me if you don't get worked up over the financial crisis. Otherwise, maybe sell your stake in the BoSox.

 
At 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that guy is a wuss. any red sox fan could tell you that. maybe the problem isn't that the cubs are cursed, but that they're cursed by a Goat! a Goat! at least our team was cursed by Babe Ruth. i don't know how they're going to overcome a goat curse. voodoo may be required, but it's just plain embarassing.
-don

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

My Word!
I can't say as I understand the attraction of watching grown men play baseball, I do LOVE the scandals, and ubiquitous denial of steroids by the League's governing body and fans.

Barry Bonds, who may be the biggest asshat in sports history, must surely be the pariahic metaphorical equivalent of OJ Simpson in the 90s...
even Jesus must loathe him.

Since I cannot improve upon the raking that both he and OJ get in Dickipedia here is the link..

enjoy!
http://www.dickipedia.org/dick.php?title=Main_Page

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Let's go PHILLIES!!! I was kissed by the Philly Fanatic, ya know!

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger Mutha said...

Doug-- I thought of you friend when the White Sox fell to the Rays. I will write a piece soon about a very funny moment between the White Sox mascot and a Rays pitcher. and the Red Sox have got me whether I need the cash or not.

Anon-- Jesus, the goat! So rough. Don't tear Wrigley down Chicago! Many an angry Sox fan said Fenway had to go before the curse was broken -- but the Boys came through anyway and the grand old park (bite me Yankees) still stands.

Don -- You gotta let baseball flow over you and there are many a cute baseball player. Personllay, I've got a thing for catchers -- but there are plenty young middle relievers (if you know what I mean). I will check out dickopedia immediately.

C-Girl-- I have heard antibiotics are in order if the Fanatic kisses you. I am SO all about the Phillies beating LA. But I will feel very weird if the World Series is the Sox and the Phils. This Camden girl will fell very conflicted.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home