She's a Real Mother

Mutha's got eyes in the back of her head.

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Mother Tongue

The other day, I heard my son tell another kid to "stop being an utch-amagutch."

I would have thought it strange, only I have heard myself say it a hundred times. And if I'm not mistaken, I'm the one that made it up.

But it does not stop with my own creativity. I say weird things because my parents said weird things, my grandmother too.

When someone announced they had to leave, my dad used to say, "Stick around, we're gonna open a can of molasses."

If someone makes a joke at my mom's expense, she will probably retort, "T'aint funny McGee."

When I was growing up, no one else had households in which phrases like "Now you're cookin with gas!" or "You're the cat's pajamas!" were common place. I knew this because people generally stared blankly at me when I used them.

I find these sayings as strange as can be, but at the same time they make up the language I grew up with -- and what's more, they have always made me laugh.

And apparently, I'm not the only one. I worked with a woman who was very fluent in English, but for whom French was a first language. The elements of English she found the most interesting were slang and sayings like the ones I used liberally. She loved to use them, but rarely got them right. My favorite interpretation was for "between a rock and a hard place," which she crafted to be "between the stone and that cold, dark space."

It reminded me of my grandmother who could let 'em fly in two languages. I loved when she used to say, "If you believe in witches, your asshole will dry up," and then claim that it rhymed in Polish."

And I betcha it does.

9 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

It may even be true. I have Argentine step-siblings and the youngest, Laura, has the most trouble with idioms.

For four years, Laura was an employee of mine and semi-picked up several of my more colorful professional phrases like "I don't give a rat's ass," which she would then use over the phone as "You can't have an assrat!"

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger FirstNations said...

yes! i remember those! my dad would say 'i thank you, and eleanor thanks you' when he recieved something he didn't really expect or want much. and my mom was forever accusing me of being 'Sarah Bernhardt' when i gave way to adolescent dramatics.

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

Doug: I might have to use "You can't have an assrat!" from now on.

FN: Could that be an FDR expression from his radio addresses? My parents were of the "depression era" and I have found that lots of their sayings have to do with radio shows, etc. When I was being called on adolescent shenanegans, one or both of my parents would declare, "Hallmark Theater presents...in the role of lady Macbeth!..." by then I would storm out to their giggling.

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger G said...

Doug - the updated version in the Scissors household is "I don't give a rasta's ass" - believe that one started in Jamaica. FN, Sara Bernhardt was used by my mother and aunt as well.

Yes those other phrases all ring familiar too Mutha. I always thought (and I did to a great extent) grow up with the shadow of the depression and its language permeating our household.

Now "hold the phone", but did I see a story of you at Doug's? See for youself "Sister". G'night.

 
At 7:15 AM, Blogger Mutha said...

Who? What? ME?
I'll go have a look-see as soon as the muffins are done....oh that Doug.

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger Mutha said...

G: "Hold the phone" was/is big in my household -- good one. There are so many it is hard to hear the strange ones for what they are sometimes.

 
At 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All familiar phrases to me too. My maternal grandfather was a master at such language. If he couldn't recall an existing phrase to describe a situation he just made up a new one. Very entertaining if not a bit puzzling sometimes.

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

A Yogi Berra around the house! Now that is fun!

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

Love the herd of turtles saying! One that occurred to me after it came out of my mouth the other day was the exclaimation, "Good Night Nurse!" used as a kind of interjection of frustration. I have no idea where that came from but I have heard it all my life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home