She's a Real Mother

Mutha's got eyes in the back of her head.

Monday, September 25, 2006

Don't Stand So Close To Me

Today I thought of my ninth grade Earth Science teacher. It was the word "geology" that made me think of him after all these years and once I did, I remembered that I had a big crush on him. I was a bit of a hippy-type in high school and considering that, this guy was an absolute dream-boat. He wore sandals in the winter (with socks, I think), had a beard, and sat cross-legged on the top of his desk. He thought my topographic maps were so good that I should consider it as a major in college. I remember being bummed when I found out he was married -- as if there was some chance of my map-making career setting me up to be his girlfriend.

It sent me wondering: were there more? A quick tally includes my fifth grade gym teacher (he coached my brother and so joked a bit with me -- which made my heart flutter), my third grade teacher (I found out later there was a big scandal because it was the 70s and he was attempting to be openly gay), and the children's room librarian (he could juggle books and would flip them into a stack when you checked them out).

A goofy jock, a sensitive homosexual, and a misplaced street performer. How could I have known that they told the uncanny story of my failed attractions to come?

11 Comments:

At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like the first chapter of a fascinating story! Two crushes I can remember...2nd grade teacher, Miss Jones...my infatuation shattered when I saw her driving down the street smoking. I was crushed. The other was in 7th grade and I believe her name was Ms. Hanson (notice we've gone from Miss to Ms.).

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

Well now I'm on the edge of my seat! What about Ms. Hanson??? In 7th grade you would have been able to take the disappointment of a smoker -- you might have even found it HOT.

 
At 6:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the crush on Ms. Hanson may have ended when I met her husband...bummer.

I forgot one...also in 2nd grade the teacher's assistant, Miss Pierson, although part of the attraction there was she had at one time dated former Dodger 2nd baseman Jim Lefevre, which made her too cool for words.

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

Makes sense that the spouse would be the buzz kill and the exboyfriend/present Dodger would be the buzz.
Speaking of: GO DODGERS!

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger FirstNations said...

oddly i canot remember having a crush on a teacher, although i must have.
had a crush on mr. spock for one season, though.

 
At 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nomar, Nomar, Nomar...he's falling apart but keeps getting the big hits!

Go Dodgers (please oh please oh please).

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

FN: I get it -- something sexy in the Vulcan...not the hair or ears so much...maybe the eyes? It's got to be the way he cokcks his head to one side...

Joel: A game ahead!!!

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Somehow, Joel, the husbands never bothered me. It was always the pepper spray.

 
At 3:13 AM, Blogger Jay said...

That's kind of sweet, really.

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

Don't have to tell Doug twice...especially if the first time involves pepper spray.

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Mutha, I'm sensitive that way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home