She's a Real Mother

Mutha's got eyes in the back of her head.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

You Scream, I Scream, We All Scream

In the spirit of Labor Day, a signal of the immanent retirement of summer, my fine family and I played a bit of baseball last Monday. It was a sunny, beautiful day here in our little slice of Massachusetts, and we were all happy to get a little dirty and sweaty -- good clean fun. And how else might someone cap-off such a wholesome frolic? By eating a little ice cream of course! From a little ice cream truck? All the better.

But then I was sobered by the choices before us.

I am unsure when, exactly, cartoon characters -- or more accurately, their approximations -- became in vogue. When I was a child, I remember the Super Rocket Pop as being the height of artistic interpretation in hand-held desserts. But now, much is fair game and the results are not pretty and even less appetizing.

First of all whether it be Dora the Explorer or Bugs Bunny, you can bet the eyes are made of frozen, black bubblegum pieces (as in, "CRACK! Ahh Mommy! Dora's eye broke my tooth!"). Another thing to keep in mind is that the pursuit of "authenticity" includes unfortunate ice cream colors (as in, "Daddy, what flavor is gray?").

To taint the icecream truck experience even further, I slipped deep into Old Crank mode by noting that NOTHING was less than $2. Even my old friend the basic ice cream sandwich had been mysteriously promoted to SUPER Ice cream Sandwich and was now $3.

And so, with the sound of repeating "Turkey In the Straw" -- off-key -- still ringing in our ears, we left behind the Sonic and Scoobey-Doo Pops and went to the corner creamery for homemade ice cream on a cone.

It ain't trying to look like nothing, but the good news there ain't nothing gray neither.

8 Comments:

At 8:07 AM, Blogger Indeterminacy said...

I miss those Captain Crunch ice creams, the strawberry version. I think they have a generic brand now, strawberry sundeas or something. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

Yey! It's Indie! And he made me hungry to boot!

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger FirstNations said...

there was a lawsuit filed in whatcom county three or four years ago by a family annoyed to the point of huddled weeping by the incessant playing of 'Turkey in the Straw' by the local ice cream truck.

drumsticks.....mmmmmm!

 
At 5:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ice Cream...mmmmmmm....Chocolate/PeanutButter is my personal fav...along with a hundred or so other flavors.

Can't beat a baseball/ice cream combo...two of the greatest creations on the planet, I say.

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

I find off-key 'Turkey In the Straw' especially menacing. We had another truck that played "I'm a Little Tea Pot" over and over and it didn't have half the effect. During the freak-out for all things patriotic after 9/11, I was at near by Walden Pond and watched as a group of adults requested that a parked truck stop with its unending songs about America. A bit of a back-and-forth came next, between the requesters and other folks who said they enjoyed such music while visiting this historic landmark. Then someone pointed out that Thoreau was lots of things, but a supporter of the status quo, he was not. The final point that stuck was that Walden is supposed to be a place of reflections and quiet. No matter the political bend, all agreed on this. Tunes cut and without a law suit.

 
At 11:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Walden Pond...use to pass it each day going to and coming home from work...still homesick for Boston.

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

And I didn't vote for my favorite icecream: hard to pick but I really do love peppermint stick and also ginger.

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger G said...

Did you ever think you'd see the day when the ole reliable icecream sandwich commanded three buck?! I'm sure you enjoyed the homemade all the more!

Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home