She's a Real Mother

Mutha's got eyes in the back of her head.

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Raising Your Son to Be a Red Sox Fan and Other Forms of Child Abuse

For those of you who don't know or care, the Red Sox are in a skid of epic proportions. As a long-time fan, I know a shrug can go a long way. But my nine-year-old son is growing up in a different era of baseball history. With a Red Sox team poster on his wall that declares they won the World Series just two short years ago he can not understand the generations of Fenway Faithfuls who never lived to see such a thing. In other words, he's taking it pretty hard.

What do you say to a kid that hasn't learned the lessons of Red Sox Nation? Who does not know the ghosts of late season catastrophe? Who looks at me with tears in his eyes and says, "Why do they keep blowing it?"

I tell him the only things I can, the only things that lets me keep being a fan year after year:

It's only a game, kid.

and

Who is your back-up team for the play-offs?

I like to keep my underdog theme going, so -- Go Tigers!

6 Comments:

At 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It ain't over till it's over!

You might tell him that one of readers of your blog is a Dodgers fan whose last thrill of victory was in 1988.

It's tough when your a kid...I used to take it very hard when my beloved Dodgers would lose, feeling the full brunt of the agony of defeat...not understanding how they could let me down...the kid who wanted them to win sooo very bad.

As I write this I realize there's still a lot of kid left in me...I happen to be watching the Dodgers who are at this moment losing...again...and I still just don't understand how they could do this to me.

I feel your son's pain.

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger FirstNations said...

you tell him it beats the crap out of having grown up in portland oregon in the 1970's, a town that fielded NOTHING but losers in every sport extant.
losers with stupid names.
like THE BEAVERS.
yeah.
i'm feeling ya, kid.

(go mariners! woofwooofwoof!)

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger Mutha said...

Joel: Ah the Dodgers...they got it done last night though. I love my Nomar and it looked as if D.Lowe might have gotten hurt (although, I think -- not his pitching hand). I will pass on your sympathies.

FN: Go Beavers!! Yeah, a little taste of glory and we are all glutons.

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Jay said...

When you pack that much wallop in the title...jeez. You're the best.

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger G said...

Okay, I know not the Yankees, but would the Mets be out of the question?

Better idea: tell him to root for me to win here, SAR'S CAPTION CONTEST

Welcome back by the way. We leave Tuesday for the beach...can't wait.

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Mutha said...

Jay: well, jeez right back at ya'. This is fine praise from the woman who said,"Camping without drinking is just sleeping outside." I quote you freely, so I hope I'm not paraphrasing.
G: Yes indeed. The Yankees and the Evil Empire they represent is out for me...a circumstance has not been invented that would coax me into that position. There is a popular t-shirt in Boston that says, "I cheer for two teams: the Red Sox and for who ever beats the Yankees." The Mets...ah, well -- much better odds than the Yankees in my heart. In fact, I had a soft spot for them until the fated World Series with the Sox...but I love Pedro for the punk he is and their 3rd baseman is a wonder. Perhaps...check back in October.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home