She's a Real Mother

Mutha's got eyes in the back of her head.

Friday, May 26, 2006

Safe

Last week there were several shooting incidents near a school in Boston where I work. All of them happened between 1 and 4 in the afternoon, times when our kids are often outside, coming or going to the playground. I sat in an emergency staff meeting in which my coworkers who live in the school's neighborhood described how and where they hide with their children when they hear shots at home. How the TV has been moved from the front room to the back room, so that there is less of a chance of being hit by a bullet coming from the street. How there were posters hanging around the neighborhood with a picture of a rat and a line through a tongue. In other words, you've been warned -- don't talk to the cops.

Two hours later, I sat in a park near my home, twenty-five miles from where the shootings happened. I watched as my son played baseball with the other six and seven-year-olds. I couldn't help but notice how my shoulders ached and finally realized it was from the effort of holding them too high, that I had spent the day ready to run. I watched as these kids kicked stones in the outfield, danced around second base with their backs to the plate despite their coaches gently pleading with them to pay attention.

I thought about how they felt safe enough to day dream out there. Carefree enough to be bored, and bored enough for the right fielder (my boy) to stand with arms crossed and his mitt on his head like a hat.

2 Comments:

At 9:38 PM, Blogger liberal army wife said...

oh, Mutha. mine is 26 now. but I remember watching him play soccer (wandering about the area, looking at clouds, picking dandelions) and wishing he'd never grow up.

May I hope he stays healthy, safe and happy. We were in Europe when Chernobyl blew... and for about 5 years we watched him and took him to doctors. but to be that scared, to move the TV and be terrified of bullets... that is truly horrific, in this country, in this day and age.

~LAW~

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

Welcome LAW and welcome back Kristen. Thanks for sharing these bits with me. There's nothing like true motherhood, right? No Mother's Day cards really capture those moments when you are afraid for your children or cry from the sheer relief that they are okay.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home