She's a Real Mother

Mutha's got eyes in the back of her head.

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Just a Second, Say That Again #4

"Sometimes you win.
Sometimes you lose.
And sometimes it rains."

- Nuke LaLoosh in Bull Durham

I have mentioned on this blog before that I am a big baseball fan, but this quote came to me today for a broader reason than the game. It came to me when my son became incredibly frustrated while trying to master something new. He cried, saying, "This is no fair. I want to quit."

It made me remember that my own father used to be fond of saying, "Well kid, who said life was fair?"

But, as I recall, that use to make me cry harder.

So I quoted Nuke instead.

4 Comments:

At 11:50 PM, Blogger Janet said...

And then there's the quote that pulls things full circle:

"There's no crying in baseball"- League of Their Own

:)

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger Janet said...

P.S. Thanks for the comment about NJ. I tried to contact you, but it seemed the email you left was incomplete. Maybe you could contact me?

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

Janet I love that quote -- especially alongside Tom Hanks' severe finger-beckoning. It's an important rule to keep in mind -- but so completely false. One only need be a Red Sox fan (me!)or the mother of two boys trying to tough-out Little League for the first time (me again!). Pass the kleenex.

 
At 12:17 AM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

I have to remember this one for 'those days'! It's always raining when you want to do something, here in the pacific northwest. Can't do anything about it, but go on and do it anyway. I agree it is a easier transition to the fact things happen other than the way you might want them to. Thanks for visiting our cherry trees!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home