She's a Real Mother

Mutha's got eyes in the back of her head.

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Who Are the People in Your Neighborhood: Tow Truck Driver

#2 Tow Truck Driver
I met Barry the tow truck driver under some pretty special circumstances, circumstances that allowed me to experience the range of skills such a job involves. You see, I had just been in my first car accident ever and was beyond shook up. I had insisted on standing out in the cold with my bashed-up car and so by the time Barry rolled in, I was shivering pretty badly. He took one look at my pathetic state and told me I could climb up into the cab of his truck. Barry operated one of those serious tow trucks, no wimpy-ass "hook" models here, this was the car-carrier variety. Well he had my car up there in no-time flat, but when the poor guy got behind the wheel, I was crying. He took one look at me and said, (and I quote): "Aah come on lady...you're not gonna cry in my truck, are ya?"

The drive to my town was a ways, so Barry made due with the situation by suggesting we listen to the radio. After a little while, I calmed down and he warmed up -- giving me the perfect setting to ask my questions.

What's the best part of being a tow truck driver?
Barry reported that the best part for him is that he knows how to get any vehicle, in any state, up onto his truck. He told me, "I don't care if your SUV is upside down, in a pond. I can get it out and on this bed, by myself."
Impressive.
He also made the destinction that he works for Triple-A, so he comes when he's called. He acknowledged that this means he's helping people, rather than his counter-parts who take illegally parked cars. Barry reported: "The only thing that kind of work is good for is getting you shot."

What's the worst part of being a tow truck driver?
Apparently the hours suck. Barry is "on call" for a pretty hefty number of hours a week and ALWAYS gets calls. He also said that working through the Massachusetts winter is pretty harsh and makes people incredibly impatient and bitchy: "Like the weather's my fault?!"

Anything funny ever happen?
Barry said what's funny to him is the sheer number of people who do stupid things. He said a common winter time call involves an individual starting his/her car to warm it up, then locking the keys inside. The next level of "DOH!" is when their house keys are also locked in the car. Another variety of common call involves "Sunday Morning Pay Back." Apparently it is a ritual of sorts in South Boston to puncture all the tires on your boyfriend's car if you see him out with another woman. Barry added that keying foul messages into the paint is also usually part of the deal, "But I can't help the kid out there. That's for the body-work guys. There's only so much I can do."

3 Comments:

At 9:54 AM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

This is a great thing to do- interviewing the people around town.

Barry sounds like a real professional. One of my proudest moments was getting a corn detasseling machine out of a pond. To experience something like that every day is to live life well.

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Mutha said...

Wow. I don't even know what a "corn detasseling machine" is...I can't imagine what "detasseling" would involve. So, I must say, I'm beyond impressed -- and more than a little curious, because on top of everything else -- how did it end up in the pond?

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

OK, so I have to share this. I was thinking of maybe telling a detasseling story Saturday and I googled "detasseling machine" and got a link to here.

Be the change you seek.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home