She's a Real Mother

Mutha's got eyes in the back of her head.

Saturday, December 02, 2006

"I Ain't No Dog Tied to a Parked Car"

This quote is from a Lou Reed song. He says it in reference to his desire to stay married and it has always stuck out to me -- even when I heard it first in my very early twenties.

Why?

I think it is because lots of books, songs, poetry, etc are made in the name of the first blush of love and just as much, it seems, describing the experience of love ending, but very few describes the in-between: the staying together. There is ofcourse the amazing Al Green's Let's Stay Together as an exception and, to be honest, some pretty hokey-shit movies with "Aaaaaaaaah" endings. But not a bunch describing the day-in and day-out of loving someone long-term. Causing people to say "Wow, how do you do it?" if you have managed to pull it off past ten years -- but behind that wonder is the understanding that the answer is probably frighteningly dull.

I don't believe that to be the case. So, I wanted to devote a little space regularly to this question: What is it like to stay together? How do you keep it going?

One answer is: have a more varied social life in your mind.
In my childhood, Jimmy Carter was nailed by the press for "lusting in his heart" (Jesus, and Bill Clinton thought they were after him). A parlor game I play based on this notion is "Who are you dating in a parallel universe?" In this game, one entertains the idea that it is possible to date people in your mind. Time travel is also possible in this game, which is terribly convenient if you want the chance to date someone who is now dead (my list: John Lennon), or was hot when they were young (my list: Paul Newman, 1966). It is also a way to date folks much younger than yourself guilt-free. So, if you found you had a crush on, say, the kid who plays Harry Potter (Uh, I didn't say I lusted after Daniel Radcliff, at least not out loud), in this parallel universe you could also be 16 and avoid run-ins with the law all together.

To be honest, my husband wasn't all that happy about this game at first. He found it disturbing. That was until we saw a Beyonce video together and he declared, "Damn, I'd date her. Who the hell wouldn't?" Which of course, I couldn't argue with -- so we both added Beyonce to our lists.

I found something interesting in playing this game though. After my husband saw a picture of poet Nick Flynn, one of my parallel universe guys, he made the observation that Nick resembled the guys I used to date in some key ways. Mostly, he looked like he might need a good meal and a bit of care. And I had to admit, this was the one element (along with a kind of anti-hero esthetic) that described the other wise very different members of the "Guys I Used to Date" group. (DISCLAIMER TO MR. FLYNN: I am in no way suggesting you are not well fed or cared for. Infact, I think you are very talented and...only ever reading this in my imagination.)

Now I am no dummy, I got the fact that my husband was also making the point because he breaks this mold all together. He did not look like a stray when I met him. He was quite capable of taking care of himself. In fact, I may have married him because he was able to help make sure I was taken care of --- what a radical idea. So, this was an added benefit to the game and another reason I recommend it.

I welcome anyone's own list.

14 Comments:

At 10:33 PM, Blogger Indeterminacy said...

You're right! The in-between comes up so seldom. The burning issue is usually how to find a boyfriend/girlfriend.

My answer: I think it can go well if you don't idiolize your partner, at least not beyond reality, beause 1) reality always catches up and destroys everything and 2) it places pressure on the other person to live up to something impossible. Accept one another as you are.

I base this on having been in the two extremes (the negative extreme fortuantely was not someone I married). Another good idea: marry someone Catholic.

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Indeterminacy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Indeterminacy said...

Sorry, I messed up the title in the previous comment. B.B.King gives great advice about how to stay together in "Worry, Worry" on Live at Cook County Jail.

 
At 7:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your idea is an excellent one. My husband and I have passed the ten year mark. We often cheat on eachother in our heads and we share our partners, too.

Indeterminacy makes another good point: having a more realistic idea of who your partner is helps. Low expectations reduce disappointments.

Honesty is a good thing too. It has really helped us to be able to tell eachother when we are being a$$holes.

And hugging (awwww) keeps us together.

 
At 7:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and alcohol helps, too.

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger violet said...

Yeah, it's interesting how little space in pop culture is devoted to how exactly the 'and then they lived happily ever after' works out. It's courting or messy break-ups, nothing in-between. A couple spend the film/TV series getting together then it's just off into the sunset, as if the hard part is over with. In a way I think this can be good though, as a lot of people seem to 'script' their lives based on models from TV far too much as it is.

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

Indie: Hey! I'm Catholic -- or was, at least, raised one. I am dying to know how that translates to prime marriage material. So dish. I goota get me the BB King song...what does he say that inspires you?


Goldennib: Low expectations? I don't know. I think I am simply a cheap date. I think there also has to be a side of your relationship that resembles a sibling bond. Balancing out passion and duty with the simple ability to hang in each other's presence without demanding a lot.
And yes...cocktails round everything out nicely. And so, who is on your list? Anyone famous?

Welcome V-for-the-mo'! It is strange -- right? Where is the song about being married for 17 years?

 
At 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comment, and a belated congrats on the anniversary. A year!!! I can't imagine keeping this up for that long. It's been less than 75 days for me and it feels like an eternity.
Cheers.

 
At 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rupert Holmes wrote, in my opinion, the all-time best let's-stay-together musical number:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJxwwwyB4_k

Its frequently covered by Jimmy Buffet -- not so much because its about monogamy, but because it features Pina Coladas.

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger violet said...

Have just remembered a Beautiful South song about having a long-term relationship and growing old together - something about a lady getting crow's feet, 'thirty 25th of Decembers, twenty-nine Fourth of Julys'... Can't remember more, sorry, sweet lyrics but the music just put me to sleep...

 
At 6:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always liked Ul Brenner and there's Aiden Quinn and Scarlet Johansson. Maybe all of us all together; D

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Indeterminacy said...

B.B. King says basically what I did. Don't try to change each other, but rather accept each other as you are. It's coolest to hear B.B. King sing/speak it, but here is the text

And ohmigod! I just figured out that my muse and I will have been married 10 years on Dec. 23rd!

Isn't it verboten for Catholic women/men to divorce their spouses? ;-)

Ditto on honesty.

 
At 1:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you thought Amos Lee was cute in The Snark - are you two dating? Cause maybe I'll date him, when you've broken up of course.

I'm still working on the good advice that I give and that I get in terms of marriage and maintaining a good relationship. Marriages can put some challenges on the table, but through it all maintaining the ability to just laugh has made a big difference. Of course respect and looking the other way and giving each other space - very important, but laughter, that's the remedy.

I'll have to give the song thing some thought. It's late.

 
At 10:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mutha: This song was in my cd player in the car this am and it's a perfect song describing the in between:LITTLE WILLIES.

It's called Easy as the Rain - beautiful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home