She's a Real Mother

Mutha's got eyes in the back of her head.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Just a Second, Say That Again #5

"there is some shit i will not eat"

This is one of my favorite e.e.cummings lines. I've found it useful in discussions, negotiations, and in those moments when you are trying to bring a family dinner argument to a crashing halt or fiery finale. But first and foremost, this quote is from a poem about defying war called, i sing of Olaf glad and big. Caution, there is also the assertion that "I will not kiss your fucking flag" -- so only read it if you are ready to embrace that kind of freedom of speech. I gotta say, reading it recently made me feel...understood.

9 Comments:

At 1:02 PM, Blogger FirstNations said...

ok. answer me this one question, asked in all seriousness:

"...as in 'Miraculous'?"

by the way, your blog kicks ass.

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

Thanks First Nations, and in all seriousness, what does your question mean? Shed a little more light and I will be psyched to answer it!

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Jay said...

That cracks me up. I mean, isn't freedom of speech freedom of speech?

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

Wouldn't that be cool, Miss Jay? It's interesting to note that when I first read that poem, the US was not engaged in a war (well, a noncovert war) and that line about refusing to kiss the fucking flag sounded a little dated, a little self-important. To be an American now and read it, it pushes my buttons front and center.
And it's fun to float a free-speech advisory on it. It begs to question, "what shit WILL you eat?"

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

At which meal?

By the way, next to of course god america i is my favorite of his. "by gorry by gee by gosh by gum" is a line I still use.

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Mutha said...

And you know Doug, now that I've heard your voice reciting your stories, I can actually hear you say that line in my head -- not everyone could pull it off, but somethiing tells me, you do it with style.

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Sar said...

Am I ready to embrace that kind of freedom of speech? Oh yes indeedy. The line I use to bring an argument to a "crashing halt of fiery finale (nicely said, btw) is this:

If I wanted to hear from an asshole I would've farted!

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Mutha said...

Those conversation-stoppers are tricky. You've got to time them just right or nobody gets dessert.

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Hahahaha, Mutha.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home