She's a Real Mother

Mutha's got eyes in the back of her head.

Friday, May 05, 2006

I *heart* Jeff Tweedy

The first time I remember hearing Jeff Tweedy's voice he was declaring,
"My heart/it was a gun/but it's unloaded now/so don't bother."

Have you ever heard of the band Uncle Tupelo? Have you ever heard any Wilco? If you haven't -- run, don't walk -- and fix that.

Uncle Tupelo was a band from the early 90's that featured Jeff Tweedy and Jay Farrar as dueling song writers a la Lennon and McCartney. In a kind of stellar one-ups-manship, each pushed the other to create a brand of punk/country hybrid music that could feature driving guitars as easily as the lyrics that might make you cry. When the two and their several alternating band members parted ways, Jay created Sun Volt and Tweedy Wilco -- and although I love Jay (his song Whiskey Bottle is by far one of my all-time favorites) my heart has always belonged to Jeff.

It was true from that first time I heard the lyrics mentioned above, from his song Gun. The earnest quality of his voice, the depth of his song-writing, and ability to leave the listener feeling as if, as hard as he tries, Jeff just might always be left misunderstood is simply a heart-breaker. It also doesn't hurt that he has continued to push the envelope with Wilco and his solo projects.

But did I forget to mention that he kicks ass live?

I was lucky enough to see Wilco play about 10 years ago at the Paradise in Boston. I was standing in front, right up against the stage, and so struck by the man was I that, with my loving husband by my side, I yelled:
"I love you Jeff Tweedy!!"

Jeff gave me some very satisfying eye contact, stepped to the mic and said , "Really?"

8 Comments:

At 4:08 PM, Blogger Jay said...

10 years ago would have been when I first saw them play too. Different place, of course, but gawd it takes me back.

 
At 10:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found some and listened. It took me back, too, to when I was going out with this guy who always wanted me to go to the 9:30 Club and such places to hear bands like the Meat Puppets. Unfortunately our tastes were different and we parted ways with mutual respect eventually. But last year he e-mailed me to recommend the Drive-By Truckers . . .
Maybe one day I will understand what I've been missing.

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

Miss Jay: So glad to drag you down Memory Lane, especially to the dive bar on Memory Lane that lets Wilco play.

Bill: You know...there was a guy named Bill who played me the Uncle Tupelo song "Moonshiner" over and over compulsively. In my imagination, you are that Bill.

Weisdo: Wow where's the 9:30 Club? I want to go there. You know, I had a boyfriend who tried to turn me on to a bunch of music. To his bewilderment, I liked almost all of it (see past post: "Lou Reed Is God, Pass It On") - but I never could embrace the Meat Puppets. I think they were one of those bands guys used to like to throw out there as a dare. But most of all I think they liked saying "Meat Puppet."

 
At 8:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

uncle tupelo taught me that it's okay to acknowledge the crucial connection between religion and drunkeness. but which leads to which? ah...

-david

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

Man! You are right on that one, David. "Whiskey Bottle over Jesus. Not forever, just for now."

 
At 2:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good music Mutha. Just wanted to throw out a collaboration you may enjoy - that of Wilco and Billy Bragg performing the songs of Woody Guthrie on an album called "Mermaid Avenue" - good stuff!

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Mutha said...

Thanks ginah -- LOVE IT! When I heard that album (yes I still say "album") it was like a bunch of my favorite people coming to a mythical dinner party and getting along great.

 
At 4:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just can't bring myself to not say album! I don't think I ever will. As an also 40 something mom of small skidoodles, there are just some things that are so worlds away from what I grew up with. Anyway, glad you have and enoyed the ALBUM!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home