She's a Real Mother

Mutha's got eyes in the back of her head.

Monday, December 05, 2005

One Mutha of a Film Festival

Question of the day: Who would I have to kill in order to be allowed to plan my own film festival?

First things first, this is no one shot deal. It would have to be a festival that happened over a week and perhaps year after year. Did I mention I also have an insanely rich financial backer? Oh yeah. So, I can afford to show whatever the hell I want.

But I would have to kick-off with a line-up of movies I can't live without. Movies I could watch at the drop of a hat, any time, and love. A Mutha Hall of Fame, if you will. That first group would have to be:

Some Like It Hot
An amazing blend of silliness and comedy as high art. Tony Curtis gets to fall for the fabulous Marilyn Monroe and Jack Lemmon can't help but be masterful as the "bridesmaid" in the scenario. Monroe is not only a vision in every frame -- she demonstrates comic timing that if you weren't paying attention, might seem like dumb luck. She also wears a dress in this one that defies explanation as far as wearability and how the hell it got past the censors.

Five Easy Pieces
This is Jack Nicholson at his best, before he started doing imitations of himself. There is a sixties edginess to this one, with Nicholson wound so tight he can make you nervous, even when he is playing the piano. It also features a supporting cast that is phenomenal and the infamous "What do you want me to do with the chicken salad?" scene.

The Philadelphia Story
Dialogue that is so funny and so tight you have to know it by heart to get every double-meaning and witty slant. My favorite characters and favorite lines change over time, but it is hard to beat a swoony Katherine Hepburn looking up at a mesmerized Jimmy Stewart, declaring, "Put me in your pocket, Mike."

The Last Picture Show
A movie so quiet and so beautifully shot it sets a template all it's own. Timothy Bottoms is a heart-breaker and every scene features someone else giving a masterful performance. Cloris Leachman though, may just be the one that steals the show.

It's a Wonderful Life
I simply can't help it, this movie slays me. Even after all these years, watching this Frank Capra masterpiece is like Christmas morning itself, opening gift after gift. And on top of everything else, the gym floor opens to a swimming pool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home